Songs of Incarnation

The Incarnation of Christ is perhaps the most moving theological concept to me. Its incomprehensible mystery and beauty often knock the breath out of me when I take the time to contemplate it. Since becoming a mother, there is now another layer of complexity and miraculousness in the Incarnation for me to consider. It is such a miracle that the Almighty Creator would be pleased to come to his people in the form of a tiny, human baby. It’s unexpected, unprecedented, and profoundly beautiful -a perfect example of God using the foolish things of this world to shame the wise (1 Cor 1:27). Even in this season of my life where I feel callous and question God’s love for me, I cannot help but be moved by the tenderness of a God who would leave the throne of Heaven to dwell among us in our broken world in weak, human form. The idea alone renews my awe and wonder of God’s wisdom and mercy.

So, in the spirit of Advent, I’m going to post songs over the next few days that particularly reflect the mystery and miracle of the Incarnation. I have always been especially touched by music, and so sharing other people’s songs is a great way for me to express myself when I feel inarticulate (which is often, regrettably). I’m so thankful that talented, thoughtful writers have put these words to music.

Today I’m posting a song that I didn’t discover until a few years ago. It’s not a conventional Christmas song, but it is one of the best songs about the Incarnation I’ve ever heard. It’s written by the brilliant Chris Rice, and I am struck by it each time I hear it. The Youtube video below is the only one I could find where Chris Rice is performing the song, although sadly it does not include the beautiful piano accompaniment I’m accustomed to on his album Deep Enough to Dream, and the video ends abruptly before the song is finished. Still, I couldn’t post another artist singing this beautiful song, since in my mind it will always belong to Chris Rice. Anyway, have a listen, and I hope you are blessed by the miracle of the Incarnation this Christmas season.

Tears are falling, hearts are breaking
How we need to hear from God
You were promised, we’ve been waiting
Welcome, Holy Child
Welcome, Holy Child

Hope that You don’t mind our manger
How I wish we would have known
But long-awaited, holy stranger,
Make Yourself at home
Please make Yourself at home

Bring Your peace into our violence
Bid our hungry souls be filled
Word now breaking Heaven’s silence
Welcome to our world
Welcome to our world

Fragile fingers sent to heal us
Tender brow prepared for thorn
Tiny heart whose blood would save us
Unto us is born
Unto us is born

So wrap our injured flesh around You
Breathe our air and walk our sod
Rob our sin and make us holy
Perfect Son of God
Perfect Son of God
Welcome to our world





0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Post a Comment